Monday, October 1, 2012

What's My Story?

What gives a story its power?  What makes a it endure through the ages, exciting readers, inspiring thinkers, and even creating new religions in its wake?  Why have some stories stayed with the human race since inception, and while others have disappeared forever?

As an aspiring storyteller myself I've been asking these questions for most of my life.  My journey has taken me through countless books by the likes of Joseph Campbell, Edith Hamilton, James George Frazer, and Robert Graves.  Through the illusory wastes of Los Angeles where I struggled and trained for ten years as a film student and actor.  Through the arrogant intellectual towers of the University of Southern California where I earned a Masters of Professional Writing Degree from working poets, novelists, publishers and humorists.  And finally, through the forests of the Pacific Northwest where, like the shamans of old, I gaze off the edge of the world searching for the hidden dragons of humanity's unconscious depths.  But mostly I just sit around reading and writing because the weather's too bloody awful to do much else!

In this blog, I intend to share on a more or less weekly basis my ongoing discoveries about the nature of stories and storytelling as it has grown and changed and continues to change from time immemorial.  In short, lessons that every writing class should teach, but never actually do.


Want to see mythic storytelling in action?  Buy my book at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/mythpunk1

No comments:

Post a Comment